»

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I'm a P.O.O.P.I.E

HGTV recently aired a special called "The 25 Worst Decorating Mistakes." (Yes, I admit it...I was guilty of a few of them.) Do you know what is the #1 mistake most people make in decorating? It's using fake plants and flowers. Oh the horror! <dripping with sarcasm> Yes, I'm definitely guilty of that one.

Anyway, Nester is having a P.O.O.P.I.E. party today and I wanted to participate. What is a P.O.O.P.I.E., you ask? It's an acronym for People Opposing Objectionable Pretend plants In the Environment. She encourages everyone to use real whenever possible, but when it's not possible at least use something that LOOKS real. None of that fake green ivy on top of the cabinets for her! Here is a LINK to read all about it for yourself. Today she is asking us to share the good, the bad, and the ugly fakes in our home.

Yes, I agree with her philosophy. I don't have any real ones though, but I try to stay away from the really bad ones. Want to see some of my fabulous fakes?

This one is on my foyer table. It's mostly all dried things.
There are a few fake berries, but they are very small.


This one is the sister piece to the one above.
I bought the first one ready-made and then custom ordered this one to go on top of a hutch in my dining room since the two spaces are open to each other.
See? Not too bad, right?


OK...I made this one myself to go in a niche at the stop of the stairs.
The upstairs loft sitting area had a beach cottage theme. Hence the
seagull and shells. Yes, it's green, but everything is dried!


Oops...maybe everything is not quite as perfect as I first pretended it to be!
Yes, these are topiaries with fake greenery, fake flowers, and fake fruit.
What can I say...dear hubby loves symmetry and the colors work well.


Oh my! Is this really in my house? I'm afraid so! Remember that beach cottage theme
I mentioned earlier? Well, this is on the top shelf of the entertainment center in that room.
Yes, very fake...but it looks so nice with my daughters' commemorative birth announcement
plates! And there's no dust on it...yet.



OK...OK...I'll show you the REAL me. Yes, I have a fake ficus tree in my living room.
I suppose I AM secretly ashamed because I have it half hidden behind the loveseat.

More truth to share. This one sits on the landing of the stairs. The space isn't big,
but it desperately needed SOMETHING there. I suppose I should keep looking, huh?


Yes, here is probably THE WORST offender in my house.
Fake greenery and fake food....with dust.
I'm so ashamed.
I promise to remove it immediately.


The good news is that I'm already recruiting the next generation to join in my sickness!
These next two fakes are in my oldest daughter's bedroom.


8 comments:

Mom in High Heels said...

Snarf! I'm totally guilty of many of HGTV's top decorating mistakes too, so don't feel bad. If they'd like to send Vern Yip, Ty Pennington, Carter Oesterhouse and Clive(y) over to fix said mistakes, that would be fine with me. BTW, Ty and Carter would have to be shirtless, Vern would have to smile and hug me a lot and Clive-y would have to talk to me non-stop in that wicked lovely accent of his. Oh, and once they were done fixing my faux pas', I would require a nice long foot, back and shoulder massage while Clive-y reads me some Jane Austen. Until that happens, HGTV can just....pfffffttt

Blogger said...

lol, too cute :)

Everything looks just fine and dandy to me :)

Bella

The Nester said...

Quick, go back to mr. linky and link to this POST not just your blog. That way people will be able to find this great post later!!!

Thanks!

Joanna said...

Dust or not, the fake flowers and food are cute! I love them. *smiles*

The Nester said...

Thanks for relinking!!! Those fake geraniums get me every time!

Catherine said...

I agree with the other comments. I think the fake arrangements are all good.Well, maybe the fake food should be updated. After all you can afford live flowers?!

Catherine said...

my comment should have said "Who, NOT you and afford live flowers"

Catherine said...

mistake again. I need to put on my glasses. (can)