»

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Merry Christmas!

Well, we might as well get used to saying it since
CHRISTMAS IS ONLY 12 WEEKS AWAY!!!

Yes, that's right...good ol' St. Nick will be here before you know it! Retailers are so eager for those first holiday purchases that they are already stocking the shelves with Christmas decorations. My local Hobby Lobby has had Christmas trees up with lights on for several weeks now! Thankfully, I have all of my Christmas shopping about 75% done. Abby is about 90% done. Emily is a little harder, but I'm getting there. I had a lot done at this point last year, but not as much as this year. I love it! Maybe this year I can actually enjoy the holidays instead of feeling rushed.

As suggested by some blogs I read, I am going to start making one batch of cookies each week until Christmas. Each batch will be different so we will have lots of choices to enjoy when Christmas arrives. I also hope to have some handmade gifts this year. Nothing too extravagant...just a personal touch.

Of course, I also hope to create some easy, fun holiday crafts with Abby since I know she will understand it more this year. With Emily, my goal is to create those beaded snowflakes she wanted to do last year, but we didn't find the instructions until late and then I was too busy.

Last, but not least, I want our family to do some fun holiday things together. Downtown McKinney hosts "A Dickens Christmas" where the square turns back the clock and recreates a Victorian style Christmas with strolling carolers in period attire, booths for kids to make gingerbread houses, etc. We've never been to it before so I'm really looking forward to it this year. Also, there is a subdivision where you can take a horse-drawn carriage ride to view holiday lights. We've done it once in the past and it was so much fun! Oh, and the Gaylord Texan Resort has an ice sculpture walking tour in their garden. I've heard it's awesome!

What are you looking forward to this holiday season?

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Well, I don't get as excited about Christmas as I used to because of the absence of children in my house. One of the things I have missed most since you and John left home is decorating our tree together. We used to play christmas music while decorating the tree.

I'm not as near completion of my shopping as you are but I will make it.

The outings you mentioned sound like fun. I don't have anything like that here. THINK I COULD JOIN YOU ALL????

I am grateful for God who gave up the reason to celebrate Christmas with the birth of His Son Jesus Christ. I hope all will join me in this celebration!!

Suzanne said...

Of course you can join us! Our doors are always open and waiting for visitors!