»

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Conversations with a toddler

Abby is watching Snow White while I'm putting away dishes in the kitchen

ABBY: (in an almost-crying voice) Mommy, I cared (scared)!
ME: Do you want Mommy to get you a different movie?
ABBY: No, I wike (like) it.
ME: Ummm...okay.

~~~~~

Upon arriving home after going through McDonald's to pick Abby up a cheeseburger, I open the wrapper to find the burger is very hot. So, I cut it in half and, while it's cooling, I make a quick run to the bathroom. While I'm washing my hands, I realize that it is VERY quiet. That is usually NOT a good sign. I hurry into the kitchen to find Abby sitting on the floor with half of the cheeseburger devoured.

ME: Abby, were you hungry?
ABBY: Uh-huh. I hongee (hungry), hongee, hongee, Mommy!

I take the cheeseburger, put it on a plate, and put it on the table. Abby gets in the chair and starts gobbling it down again.

Me: Abby, are you still hungry?
ABBY: Uh-huh. I hongee, hongee, hongee, Mommy!

I kept asking her the same question over and over for my pure amusement and she never failed to deliver the same answer like a miniature tape recorder on playback.

Finally, she finished. I couldn't help it...I had to ask again.

ME: Abby, are you still hungry?
ABBY: No, Mommy, I not hongee, hongee, hongee anymore.


I then roll on the floor laughing!

~~~~~

I left Abby at the table today with her lunch while I began picking up toys. In a couple of minutes, I hear singing.

ME: Abby, you need to eat your lunch.

Quiet for a moment...then singing again.

ME: Abby, you need to eat your lunch.
ABBY: Mommy, I ready (already) eating my wunch (lunch)!
Me: OK, you need to finish your lunch.
ABBY: OK.

Apparantly I need to clarify "finish" the lunch not just eat it.

~~~~~

While talking on the phone one day, I finish my glass of Coke and walk into the kitchen to put the glass in the sink. Distracted, I only put the glass NEXT to the sink not in it. Abby is sitting in the kitchen playing with some toys and watching me. After placing the glass next to the sink, I walk over to the doorway and pause while still talking. Abby watches me for a moment and then looks up at the glass on the counter then looks back at me again. She then gets up and walks over to me and begins pushing on my legs.

ABBY: Mommy, you go sit puter (computer)!
ME: Abby, why do you want me to go sit at the computer?
ABBY: (pause...glance at the glass) 'Tause (because) I want you dink (drink).

Ugh...I then realize I sat the glass next to the sink rather than in it. She knows she can now reach things if they aren't pushed too far back so she was planning her next move. She was just too innocent for her own good and told me her true intentions! Ha, ha! Oh, and boy was she ever mad when I went back and put the glass IN the sink.

~~~~~

OK...be forewarned that this one is a little TOO personal, but it is so funny, I just had to share it.

Our bathroom has an open door policy when it's just Abby and me at home. With such a policy, it is quite common for her to follow me in there. Our bathroom also has a little potty chair in there for Abby's curiosity. Maybe sometime soon we'll get around to actually potty training her. Anyway, one day I was having a little tinkle and Abby came in.

ABBY: Mommy, I go potty too.
ME: OK...let's pull off your diaper. Now sit on your potty and make some tee-tee go in there.

Abby sits down and stares between her legs into her potty chair bowl for a few seconds then looks up at me with a frustrated expression.

ABBY: It dist (just) not working!

2 comments:

Catherine said...

She is just too sweet. I know you will, but just a reminder, treasure all these moments. As you can tell with Emily, they go by too quickly!

@TiffanyRom said...

So cute.

How great that you have all of those moments "recorded" on your blog!