»

Friday, August 21, 2009

Home Improvements - parts 2 & 3

Whew...I'm finally ready to reveal the last two home improvement projects that have consumed all my time over the past week. First is the hutch that was in my dining room. We've had this since....oh about 1992!!! It was definitely due for a make-over.

BEFORE (minus the doors):



AFTER (with new hinges and knobs):

Isn't it lovely? The transformation is amazing! I guess it can stick around for another decade or so now. LOL!


OK...on to the reason for the hutch transformation...the dining room remodel. We started this process about a year ago with the purchase of a new table. Then nothing was done until a few months ago when we finally removed the laser-cut wall border, repainted over the burgundy walls, and took down the fluffy country curtains.


BEFORE:




AFTER:
It's so hard to get the full room in one picture so this is a combined shot of 2 pictures so you can get the full panoramic idea. (insert delightful squeal here) I LOVE IT!!! The walls are now Restoration Hardware's Silver Sage...a silvery blue-gray-green...so soft and soothing. I still need 2 more picture frames for the back wall, but I bought all that Target had in stock at the moment. Hopefully they will restock soon so I can complete my wall with 6 pictures. Speaking of pictures, they are butterflies on a linen background printed from my computer! In the fall and winter, I plan to change it to leaves or some other botanical type print. I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but I was pleasantly surprised with the results. Oh, and they are side-by-side, not staggered, on the wall. That's just the odd angle I had to stand when taking the second picture. :-)
Next on my To Do List: the kitchen cabinets. (insert scary music here) Wish me luck!


3 comments:

Shannon said...

Wow!! It all looks amazing. I am going to try that product on my kitchen table and chairs which are also a golden oak. Hope it turns out as good as yours.

Suzanne said...

One suggestion: Use TSP to clean it and then use a Deglosser before applying the polystain. I didn't do it, but thankfully this piece won't receive a lot of use so it will be okay. I plan to use the above products before I attack my kitchen cabinets.

akku said...

hey nice to meet u. I feel happy to meet a person who is totally in love with her kids..ur awesome person..