»

Monday, August 25, 2008

She likes it...she really likes it!

Okay...so most of you know I have a veggie-hating child. She has always hated them. Except corn...she loves corn. Anyway, even as an infant, she gagged on them...repeatedly. Everyone told me to keep offering them to her and she would eventually learn to like them. Well, I guess they should have told HER that because she never learned to like them....until recently!

About a week and a half ago, I made meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and broccoli for dinner one night. She usually loves meat and always loves mashed potatoes. Who doesn't? Well, that night she just wasn't feeling the love for the meatloaf, but she gobbled down her entire helping of mashed potatoes in about 57 seconds. Of course she then asks for more. I told her she had to eat some meat before she could have more potatoes. Then for the next 4 to 5 minutes, she proceeds to whine, beg, cry, say ugly things, etc. because I won't give her more mashed potatoes. All the while I'm calmly saying "When you eat some meat, you can have more potatoes" and enjoying my dinner (as much as possible) which (of course) included broccoli.

Suddenly she stops all the fussing and quite rationally says "I want some of this" and points to my plate. I pointed to my potatoes and asked "You want some of this?" She said "No, this!" Then I point to my meatloaf and asked again "You want some of this?" Again she says "No, this!" Reluctantly I point to my broccoli and asked "You want some of this?" She says "Yes!" I literally laugh out loud. She's got to have some food throwing tactic in mind or something. There's no way this kid really wants broccoli. So, eagerly I agree and place a tiny flowerette on her plate. She quickly grabs it and shoves it in her mouth. I get ready to grab my napkin and pick up the broccoli as it comes flying out of her mouth....but it doesn't come back. She just looks at me, smiles, and says "I want more, please!" OK...surely she will spit the next bite out. But no...she eats it and again asks for more. We then repeat this scenario about 3 more times before I decide that she is really going to eat it. Then I get her some from the pan and cut it up on her plate. You would have thought I had been starving her if you had seen the way she gobbled up that broccoli. I sat there completely stunned at the sight before me.

I still scratch my head and wonder what in the world got into her that night, but whatever it was, it stuck. We've had broccoli at least 3 more times since then and she has eaten it every single time. Just take a look at my big girl eating broccoli, leftover noodles, and a pineapple/mango/peach smoothie for lunch on Monday. Days like this sure make us moms of picky toddlers proud....







No comments: